The pastor at Uprising Church in Nashville, Tennessee has learned that preaching sermons about the 'spiritual' lessons found in the movies is soooooooo much easier and more 'relevant' than preaching from the Bible.
1. You don't have to know any Biblical languages in order to exegete a movie.
2. You don't have to go to seminary to learn how to exegete a movie.
3. You can 'make up' ANY moral lesson you like from ANY movie. Just use the words "I feel that this movie is saying" before you make your point and no one will challenge what you're saying because 'feelings' are sacred. Just be sure to sprinkle your sermon with some Biblical passages and it will magically become a 'Christian' sermon.
4. The unbelieving world is more likely to show up to a church that preaches about movies instead of the Bible. Using movie preaching is a clever way to draw unbelievers to church.
5. You can eat popcorn while listening to a sermon about a movie. It just isn't as fun if you try that while listening to a sermon on a Bible passage.